Today marks my 52nd weigh in and I have lost 88.6 lbs to date and I am only 32 lbs. from my goal weight!
I feel very blessed, very happy and thrilled with the progress I have been able to make online. This time last year I was headed for a heart attack for certain! No energy, always out of breath walking up one flight of stairs and wanted to do nothing other than sleep all the time! As they say, what a difference a year makes! Last year this time, I did not even think any further ahead than losing 5 pounds at a time and that is still how I maintain my focus. I know my next mini-milestone is 90 lbs and I am 1.4 lbs from that now! So I need to push hard this week to reach that next Wednesday!
I have been asked for tips. Here is what I have put together. I think there are some foundations that I try to not vary from no matter what is going on around me.
- Drink lots and lots of water (more than the suggest 8 – 8 oz. glasses at day) I add fresh lemon slices to mine or fresh cucumber slices (which are natural diuretics and help eliminate fluid retention).
- Keep a daily journal of everything you eat and drink and all your movement for the day. (consistency is a key)
- Measure and weigh your portions.
- Use a salad plate and not a dinner plate this will make you feel you are getting more food and not make you feel you are on a “diet”
- Try to get in at least 6 servings of fruits and vegetables a day
- Try to get in at least 2 dairy servings a day
- Try to get in at least 2 healthy oil servings a day
- Take a multi-vitamin each day
- Get in at least 30 minutes of activity/movement five times a week. (i.e., walking the dog, walking, gym, weight training, Zumba, elliptical, etc.) log what you do and for how long, to ensure you get your 30 minutes 5 x a week J (I try to get a little each day)
- Try to get at least 6-8 hours of rest a day.
- Indulge in some favorite foods each week, within reason!
- Study restaurant menus for healthier choices; go outside your “normal” choices (many restaurant menus are online so you can study them before you get there)
- Set realistic short-term goals. Such as focusing on losing five pounds at a time.
- Make small changes each week.
- Try a new food/recipe each week to help eliminate boredom from your menu.
- Try to eat more whole unprocessed foods. (whole grains, veggies, fruits and lean protein sources)
- Be forgiving, if you make some unwise food choices, get back on track the very next meal/snack. Everyone has slip ups! Don’t let one poor meal choice snowball into a bad day/week/month, etc!
- Accept there will be some weight gains along the way and no not let them discourage you.
- Plan your meals where possible.
- Eat something every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism revved up!
Happy One Year Weight Watchers Anniversary to me!