I have begun a series on “Breaking Bad—Habits” and the first installment is found in the March 5, 2014 issue of Weights and Balances on Portion Control. If you can think of a bad habit that is associated with being overweight, please feel free to leave a comment for me with your idea below.
Below is supplemental information to help you win the battle of portion control:
More Tips to keep your portion sizes under control:
- Buy single serving containers of “trigger” foods.
- Replace your candy dish with a bowl of fruit.
- Keep healthier foods at eye level in your pantry and fridge.
- Keep trigger foods on a high shelf, back of the freezer; make them inconvenient to get and out of sight!
- Eat slower. Savor the flavors!
- Use smaller plates, such as a salad plate.
- No “seconds” only allow yourself to take one trip!
- Never eat from a box or bag, weigh/measure out what you are going to eat; put the box/bag away.
- Fill your plate one time and put away serving dishes.
- Ask for a “to go” container at the restaurant when they bring your plate. Box up 1/2. To take home for later!
Test yourself on Portion Control/Sizes!
- Take this 15 question quiz:
- If you do not have a set of measuring cups/spoons/scale in front of you, can you accurately guess your portion sizes? Here is a printable wallet sized guide to take with you:
- A full page guide for portion sizes:
Visual Pictures of Portion Sizes