This is a supplement to the July 2, 2014 issue of Weights and Balances.
Some interesting quotes about fast/junk foods.
We think fast food is equivalent to pornography, nutritionally speaking. ~Steve Elbert
Neuroscientist Ann Kelly says, “we have to keep in mind is that food can affect the brain in a very similar way as addictive drugs.”
“The food channel is basically just porn for your stomach.” Unknown
Is eating a steady diet of junk foods linked to other issues?
A diet made up mostly of junk foods can lead to many health issues. Researchers have found that diets which are high in sugary, high fat, and processed foods and cause us to feel tired, unmotivated and decreased physical performance. It takes a pattern of eating bad foods to do damage to our waistlines and health, not just an occasional binge. Diet sodas which contain artificial sweeteners can cause gas and bloat. White (processed) grains/products can cause constipation. Couple these white (white grains) carbs with alcohol and you are looking at being very irregular. Foods high in fats can induce acid indigestion. These foods take longer to digest and if you eat on top of them, acid can splash back into your esophagus and create heartburn. Sugars and starches can spike your insulin and then cause it to drop which might increase mood swings. Combining sugar and caffeine are to be avoided when your hormones are raging. Colorings, dyes and nitrates are known to induce headaches. Try to not eat foods that contain large amounts of the chemicals such as some hotdogs and processed meats. If something you are about to eat has a colorations not found in nature, it would probably be best to avoid it. Eating a diet consistent in junk food can lead to depression was found in research studies. Foods you choose can affect your face and general appearance by inducing the aging process and causes premature wrinkles.
What problems can be caused if I eat a steady diet of junk food?
- Poor digestion
- Blood Sugar fluctuations
- Poor Brain Function
- Increases the risk of heart disease (high weight)
- Can lead to kidney disease (high sodium)
- Can damage your liver (trans fat levels)
- Induce type 2 Diabetes
- Increase your risk of cancer
- Pre-mature aging (wrinkles)
- Increase infertility in healthy men
What are considered Junk foods?
- Bagels, white bread, regular pastas, breakfast cereals – white grains
- Cupcake – carb, sugar and high fat laden foods
- Hot dogs, Bologna – nitrates look for nitrate free versions
- French Fries – take hours to digest, high in fat, sodium, refined carbs, bad fats.
- Sugar-Free Drinks – including the little powders you add to water.
How do I avoid junk food?
- If you don’t buy it, you can’t eat it
- Avoid processed and packaged foods at the grocery store (inner isles)
- Shop the outer walls/isles of the grocery store (fruits, vegetables, meats, eggs, etc.)
- Five Ingredient Rule – it something has more than five ingredients, do not buy it.
- Gross yourself out – find out what is really in that junk food.
- Eat a variety of foods
- Learn better coping strategies to better deal with anger/stress/anxiety etc.
- Get outside and move
- Chew more, eat less.
- Use Worry Beads
- Smell Scented Oils
- Sip Black Tea
- Write in your journal
- Self-Massage- tennis ball under your foot and roll it around; place a ball on a wall and press your back against it, rolling it back and forth in between your shoulder blades