Last week I set sail on the Carnival Paradise from Tampa on my first cruise since beginning Weight Watchers. I will admit I was nervous, anxious and a little scared of what a cruise could do to the progress I had made so far this year. I have cruised many times so I tried to spend a lot of time thinking about all the different situations I would probably encounter on the cruise with food and how I would approach each choice.
1. Movement goal: Set a goal of not using the elevators the whole cruise; taking the stairs. My 71-year-old mother was right there with me up and down the many sets of stairs. Talk about feeling a sense of accomplishment!! We were both very proud of ourselves for this accomplishment (Non-Scale Victory!)
2. Tracked every bite of food. Keeping track of everything I ate helped to eliminate mindless nibbling and kept me conscious of good/better and best choices!
3. Fresh fruit was my friend. The buffets/menus always have fresh fruit either whole or cut up on them (breakfast, lunch and dinner) so making that choice in stead of other less healthy choices was easier.
4. Water, water everywhere! I drank water with the exception of two sodas I had on the cruise and fresh lemon wedges were easy to get to add to the “Agua de Paradise” (ship water) which was great! Contrary to many beliefs, ships water is very highly filtered and probably purer than most bottled waters and to top it off, it is FREE!
5. Celebrate my birthday without guilt. I had a half a slice of chocolate cake and half a slice of carrot cake and that killed my sweet tooth big time and my tummy was wondering what was happening to it; but I didn’t get sick nor feel guilty for this indulgence! I even had 8 ounces of ice cream! Yes on Weight Watchers you can have your cake and eat it too! Everything in moderation is the best approach to eating and life.
How did my strategies work?
To go on a cruise and not gain is a victory in itself! According to the scale since my last weigh-in, I am down a total of 2.4 lbs and I am thrilled!! Just .2 until I reach my 80 lbs mini-goal! 40 more pounds to go to reach goal! Yay!!! Goal for 2014: Reach my Weight Watcher’s Goal and become a Lifetime member!
The ship was all decked out for the holidays. A picture of the Carnival Paradise Atrium and a picture I took of Cozumel at night from the ship. I love Cozumel, one of my favorite Western Caribbean ports of call!